Friday, September 7, 2012

Towed Vehicles : Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth

The car that I will be posting today is car that has been passed on to my by my older brother. According to my mom my brother had a couple of die cast car before he started asking for G.I. Joe action figures. I really don't know what happened to the cars that my brother had for a while, luckily my mom was able to keep this one, and so far this is my favorite non 1/64 scale die cast car that I have in my collection.







This car was released, according the base, in 1989. I believe the series is Matchbox Elite Super Kings, unfortunately It does not say what is the scale of the car, but I believe it is around the same size of the 1/43 scale die cast cars. On it's base it says that it is made in Macau. other than that I don't have any more information regarding this series. However, if you can drop me a comment with more information regarding the series or this car, I would really appreciate it.


As you can see in the pictures, the car's condition is not mint at all. I have played with the car when I was a kid and I am planning to restore and modify this car. I love the livery of this car but I have better things in mind for the car. Since I mentioned that I will be working on this car, let me take this time to share with you a little addition to my Blog page. If you can look on the upper right side of my page, there are several Hyperlinks showing. It is still a work in progress but once done, there will be buttons or links placed there that will redirect you to my project's page. On that page, I will be posting updates and photo documentation of my restoration and mod projects.  I am just waiting for my rotary tool, once I have that you will be seeing a lot of projects here in my Blog.

Going back to the car, as you can see on the next pictures, the car doors can be opened and the details of the dashboard and interior is fair enough. A little paint detailing will greatly help the overall impact of the car. Just thinking of it makes me excited. 











It's sad that the hood cannot be opened, but other than that everything about this car is just perfect. One issue that I have for restoring this car is the windows. I am really not sure how I can properly restore it other than looking for a donor car. Help is needed on this one, let me know if you know a process for restoring clear plastic parts for die cast. Please... :D




Manufacturer
Ford Motor Company

Production
30,932 (total):
5,042 (3d, 1986)
500 (RS500, 1987)
13,140 (4d 2wd, 1988-1989)
12,250 (4d 4WD 1990-1992)

Body Style
3-door hatchback (1986-1987)
4-door notchback (1988-1992)

Layout
front engine,
rear wheel drive (1986-1989)
four wheel drive (1990-1992)

Engine
Cosworth YBB, 204 hp (1986)
Cosworth YBD, 224 hp (1987)
Cosworth YBB, 204 hp (1988-1989)
Cosworth YBG/YBJ, 220 hp (1990-1992)

Transmission
5-speed
Borg Warner T5 (1986-1989)
Borg Warner MT75 (1990-1992)

Length
446 cm (1986-1987)
449 cm (1988-1992)

Width
173 cm (1986-1987)
170 cm (1988-1992)

Height
138 cm (1986-1992)

Curb Weight
1217 kg (1986-1987)
1206 kg (1988-1989)
1305 kg (1990-1992)

Yes, the information about the car listed above is from Wikipedia and I Have decided that moving forward I will try to add more details regarding the cars that I am posting. Well, that is it for now, thanks for looking and keep on over haulin! 



4 comments:

  1. scale is around 1/40-ish. this is the premium superking, the ones that i have generic special "super 620/680" plastic rims.

    plastic restoration: there are ways that you can restore the finish of the palstic. you may not get the yellowing 100% out, but ther is a way that you can remove the scratches and have a nice smooth finish. drop me a lin in FB and i'll show/tell you

    -hanzel
    scaledricers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the added information. Let me update my blog then. :D A list of materials needed and steps on how to would be much appreciated, probably in the group page? I was thinking of using wet fine sandpaper then buff but I am really not sure if that would work and I don't want to test it on this car. :D :D :D

      Delete
  2. great diecast !!! brings back some good memories of a pair of diecast of my brother, same scale (1:43) i guess and same brand... i can see it was a beautiful model before the "hard test" of your playing time LOL... this is a demanding work of restoration, are you sure you want to begin with it ??? i think you should try something simpler before this one, just a thought... i don’t know, but these scratched, enjoyed and loved diecast have a charm that the brand new couldn’t have... =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I really love the old castings and car models as well. I just wish I have taken care of it back when I was still playing with them. :D Yes I think I can properly restore this beauty, I am just waiting for my tools used for restoring because I sold my tools back when I was still doing plamo (and looking back I really regret selling my tools >.<)to give way to biking.

      Delete