Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lucky Seven Indeed!

Buggies.

Ever since I was a kid I have always loved buggies. However almost all buggies that I consider my favorites are off road buggies, Nikko buggies when I was a kid, Tamiya buggies when I was a teen and all sorts of buggies during my college years. I really love how they look, open wheeled, aggressive body, huge shocks and a wicked spoiler. If you are familiar with Team Associated's RC8 print advertisement in most of the RC magazines during its first year of release, the one where the buggy looks like its floating in mid air, with AE's blue - white - black color scheme, every time I see that ad, I always fall in love with that buggy.  And that is exactly what I felt when I first saw the Caterham cars. For me it is basically a buggy for road use (you may disagree with me on this one, but that is how I see the Caterham :D).





I was never aware that Matchbox had castings for the Caterham R500 until I saw it on the pegs of my local toy shop last year. I was not that into die cast yet during that time. I bought the white 2010 R500 Superlight, went home and researched about it and I found out that there was also a casting for the Lotus Super 7 from matchbox. On that same day I have decided that I will try to hunt down all the variations of the R500 and try to get me at least one Super 7.




A year had passed and I have discovered several more castings that I love and hunted down. The hunt for the R500 and Super 7 was put aside. Nevertheless I was able to get several 2010 R500 and a couple of 2011 Red and Yellow variations of the R500. Up until now I am still looking for a loose Metallic Blue R500 from the gift pack. However I did manage to buy a couple of the 2012 R500. I already gave up on the Lotus 7 because I always thought that my only chance of getting one is through an online store. 








However, last month, a member of the forum that I am a member of posted several Matchbox Lesney and one of those cars posted was the Lotus 7, I immediately messaged the seller but because I was short on budget I was not able to get the car, but the seller and I did agree that I will contact him if ever the car is still available and I have enough extra money to purchase the car. 

To tell you the truth, I gave on the car already, thinking that someone already bought it from the seller. So just imagine my surprise and delight when the seller messaged me and informed me that he is willing to trade the Lotus 7 to one of my for sale items (an opened Hotwheels gift pack with mix cars). I immediately agreed and a meet up was set and scheduled. 

The Lotus 7 is loose and is not mint but what the heck it is hard enough to get hold of a loose not mint. Anyhow, the only car that I am missing is the Metallic Blue one, and I have already sent out messages that I am looking for one, so it just a matter of time. And when the time comes that I was able to get, rest assured I will let you know. :D











I am not yet sure if I will be restoring this one, considering it's really hard to get one, but right now I am happy and satisfied with what I have so far. Drop me a comment if you think I should restore or just leave it at it's condition. But I will be modding some of the extra R500 that I have and I will be posting it here as well.





Look at those bucket seats! Can't wait to paint em!




The 2012 R500 is riveted on a plastic base. (>.<)



Like what I have said earlier, I will be modding some of my extra R500, I am seeing some neon green! ^_^ And I will be posting them here as well. However, that is it now. I really appreciate you dropping by. See you later and keep on over haulin!



2 comments:

  1. i’m here again =)... i’ve seen 2 variations of this Caterham in some local department stores: the white and the cream... actually a nice casting by MB and a proof that this brand is doing a better job than Hot Wheels for the same money... i love the black/yellow version and the vintage Super 7 is very nice, as well !!!...

    i’m about to publish a vintage Matchbox, a bit scratched but in good condition and seriously i have no plans to restore it... you asked for an opinion on if is a good idea to restore your Super 7 so i give you mine for free XD... i don’t think is a good idea, unless you were able to preserve its originality, i mean, with the same color and paint type, also the stamping for the chrome on the wheels which is in effect impossible with the supplies and materials available for hobbies... but is your decision... =O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cream? (0_0) I have not seen a cream variation of the R500 so far. Yes, the R500 casting is really good, I have seen the new castings of the Matchbox SUV's and Trucks and the plastic castings of the accessories are so detailed! I only wish that they would release like a full metal casting of the most popular models that they have.

    I have a couple of vintage cars that are really in bad bad condition that I would really want to restore. However, for the Super 7 I believe I would need to agree with you. I'll try to get another one that I can restore and probably hunt down a donor car with a near mint wheels for the project. ^_^

    Will visit your blog and check the vintage Matchbox. ^_~

    Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete