Saturday, May 26, 2012

First Haul That Started It All - Taiyo Jet Fighter

Welcome to Toy Car Over Haul! (Previously titled "Barn FInds and Good Hauls")

Like any other introduction let me first introduce myself and explain what this blog is all about. This is my second blog, my first blog is like an online portfolio where in I post my artworks and stuffs. Yes, I am a freelance graphic artist who also works in an office doing office works. One of my many hobby is collecting toys, car toys in particular. I used to do Plastic Model kits like Gundam and the likes but decided to quit because I eventually lost interest. After that I got into racing Mini 4wd, it involves tinkering, modifying, painting (aspects that I liked about Plastic Models) and of course racing. Most of my friends there are also into hobby grade remote control racing, got interested with it but the cost and maintenance for it stopped me from pursuing it. But that instance introduced me to vintage remote control cars, vintage toy cars and vintage cars in general. I was bitten by the vintage bug. Soon enough I was browsing the net for unwanted vintage remote control cars but as you may all know, this kits are not cheap. The value of the kit plus the shipping cost really killed the thrill of it. Nevertheless, that did not stop me from researching and reading about vintage remote control cars, toys and real cars.

My older brother is an avid toy collector and we try to visit all of the toy shops even flea market or thrift shops (also known as "Ukay-Ukay" in my native language) and attend all toy conventions that we know.  While roaming around the toy filled floor of one of the convention that we attended too, a box covered with other toy boxes caught my attention. Needless to say, that box started it all.

I grabbed the toy box on top of the box that I was eyeing and set it aside. What I saw after is just pure joy. It is not the most sought off vintage remote control car, but it is still vintage (in my opinion). I picked up the box and opened it (I was praying at that moment, hoping that the kit is still complete. To my amazement everything is there. I looked at the person who was selling the RC and asked him how much. He looked at me before giving out the price (I guess he saw my excitement and gauged how much he can sell the RC for), "500.00 po yan" (500 Philippine peso is roughly 12$) he said. I checked the rest of the contents and tried to haggle. 500 peso was okay, I am just cheap like that hence the haggling. I was really happy that day and yes that day and that deal that I got started it all. After that I regularly attend toy conventions and visit all the toy shops, thrift shop and flea market hoping that I get to score another good haul. I did by the way score several more, and that would be for my next post. :D So yes, this blog would be for my finds and hauls. Hauls from toy shops, thrift stores and flea market. Finds from the net and colleagues and even great finds and hauls from mall toy shops. It may not all be vintage finds but I love all of my hauls and finds and I hope you will feel the same way too.

Here are some action pictures of my first find.




No comments:

Post a Comment